Our family doesn't use ketchup like other family's do. Our family's ketchup usage is mostly used for burgers and fries, which, truthfully, we rarely eat.
Some of the folks at our Restaurant go ketchup crazy! I have had some guests put ketchup on the strangest things: in soup, on Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, mixed with their gravy..you get it. Anyway, the Restaurant is a ketchup friendly place, we have loads of ketchup on hand at all times! Heinz is our brand of choice. (Grandpa Jay used to work for Heinz, there is no other brand we would use!)
About once a month, I hear mom explaining to the cashier why we need so much ketchup..... "We own a Restaurant" ..."oh, really? which one?" ... blah blah blah... boring reason for buying 30+ bottles of ketchup...blah blah blah.....
So, earlier this month, Celeste and I decided to save mom a trip to the store, and buy the months supply of ketchup...
While we were walking towards the ketchup isle, I started thinking... There has got to be a better reason why someone would buy 30 bottles of ketchup at a time!!! I was brainstorming the whole time we placed our bottles in the cart. I knew that the cashier would ask! who wouldn't ask!
Celeste and I started placing 30, 14oz bottles of ketchup on the line. Single file, all in a row.
Right on cue, our cashier commented... "wow, thats a lot of ketchup... what do you do with all of it?"
Being fully prepared for such a question, I answered...
"Its' national ketchup month."
"ohh" she said.
"yeah, usually just hot dogs, and burgers, but were starting to get crafty."
small talk went on....along with some pauses, she was trying to figure out if I was joking or not.
"so are you guys roommates?" she asked, in hopes of making more sense of the mass of ketchups going through her scanner...
"ohh no, were sisters! it's a family thing!!! even grandma is into it!"
Now keep in mind, Celeste has never been part of a ketchup experience before, so she didn't quite know what was going to happen, she didn't know of my brainstorming... so this whole time, she was holding in her laughter... little giggles here and there, but all in all, she was a good sport.
After we paid(about $50.00 mind you), and left, I'm pretty sure our cashier half believed me....mostly because she didn't know what else to think...
I also started to elaborate on my brilliant "ketchup month" theme....
Perhaps I could have added....
"yes, this is our second purchase too..we have already gone through 50 bottles, and the months only half over"
"next month is syrup month"
"we had ketchup sandwiches last night, just bread and ketchup"
"the milkshakes were a bit odd at first, but you would be surprised!"
Needless to say, we had a great time. We found it quite entertaining! I'm sure that there was talk about it in the break room later on too!
I told Bryan of our escapades, and being the jokester that he is, he came up with loads of reasons for someone to buy numerous amounts of ketchup(or anything really)...
We decided that to get the best out of these reasons, that nothing else really needs to be said.
- Worlds worst water balloon fight
- Grandma's dying wish
- OCD, i have to have a new bottle every day
- A skunk sprayed grandma
- Religious thing
- Homemade makeup
- Re-painting the kitchen
- "I just LOVE jell-o"
- Hybrid car
- Slip and slide party
- Planting tomatoes
- My tv is broken
- Making ketchup puppets
- Gotta feed my horse
So, next time you have about $50.00 lying around, go and have some fun!
*** What would tell your cashier if you bought 30 bottles of ketchup?***
7 comments:
Ahhh Ketchup! This blog made me giggle so bad!!! Thanks!
"Planting a new garden... Tomatoe trees." Ok so it's not that great.. only got a half laugh outta Tess... I'll try harder.... Hmmm... "Filming a horror film""Sister started her period for the first time, want her to feel better" Sadly both of the funny ones were Tess's.... I kinda suck at this game!
haha-- glad you two enjoyed the blog-
i love the "sisters period" one! wonderful!!!
:)
Okay so we buy that much on a regular basis... I LOVE ketchup! When we got married people gave us ketchup as wedding gifts! Crazy I know, but it really does taste good on everything.
"it's actually very good for your hair!"
loves rachael bug!
What a fantastic read! HaHa I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog.
So funny!
ketchup wrestling.
to refill you very large bottle at home.
ketchup therapy...body wraps, baths, and massages.
My psychologist said I should sleep with them to get over my mustard abandonment issues.
that was long thanks for the warning
Post a Comment